How Soon Do I Have To Begin A Car Accident Claim

If you’ve been in a car accident, you may for whatever reason, be inclined to wait to begin your car accident claim. However, waiting too long can hurt the final results of your case. . Start off on the right foot with the following information.

When To Begin A Car Accident Claim

Notifying your insurance provider is essentially the first step in opening a claim. Once you have informed your auto insurance company, you will need to consistently treat for your injuries and communicate with insurance providers.

In California you have 10 days to report your car accident to the Department of Motor Vehicles if your accident falls into the following reasons:

  • Bodily Injuries
  • Death Caused by Accident
  • Property Damages exceeding $750

Even if you are not at fault for the accident, you will need to report your auto accident. You will also need to submit an SR-1 form within the ten days to the DMV. The purpose of the form is to gather important facts such as insurance information and explanation of bodily injuries or property damage. Failure to submit a complete SR-1 form or proof of financial responsibility can result in suspension of your license.

It’s in your best interest to open your claim immediately after your car accident. Waiting until after the holidays will only depreciate the value of your final settlement and the validity of your case.

How A Car Accident Lawyer Can Help

Being injured in a car accident during the holidays can be is hassle. Finding healthcare facilities that are open during the holidays and moving forward with your case can be stressful especially when everyone else is enjoying themselves.

Insurance adjusters are trained to downplay your injuries and offer you low settlements. They won’t be sympathetic to your situation. Which is why having a reputable personal injury lawyer on your side can be beneficial to you.

At Bergener Mirejovsky, we have the resources to make your claims process much easier. We will communicate with insurance providers and handle all necessary documents on your behalf. One phone call to us and we’ll handle the rest. Contact us for a free case review at 1-800-881-2021. Don’t wait until after the holidays, we will answer your call at any time.

That means we charge you nothing unless we reach a successful settlement of your claim. If we don’t get you compensated for your damages, you don’t pay us a dime.